Have you ever had pain and immediately thought it was the worst case possible? I know I have. Well, I am about to tell you about a man who swallowed a spoon, a woman who had a contact lens embedded in her eyelid, and a woman with parasites in her spine.
The first story is about a 38 year old man who swallowed a spoon. How you may ask? The 38 year old man took a dare from his friends and decided to swallow a metal spoon. He experienced no discomfort so he didn't feel the need to see the doctor. About a year later the man was punched in the chest and started noticing lots of discomfort and difficulty breathing, then he decided to seek medical help. The doctors took x-rays and found the spoon stuck in his esophagus. They asked him a few questions about the spoon and then told him he would be needing surgery. The surgery took about two hours and successfully removed the spoon. He made a very quick recovery and is back to normal living habits, that do not include swallowing spoons.
The next medical case is about a woman who got a contact lens embedded in her eyelid. A 14 year old girl was playing badminton with her family when a birdie hit her eye. The contact lens that she had at the time slid into her eyelid and got embedded into the place were the eyelid and skull meet. She thought nothing of it until 3 decades later. Then, the 44 year old woman went to see an eye doctor because her eye was swollen and she was experiencing pain in her eye. When her doctors took the scans they \] saw that a contact lens was embedded into her eyelid. They sent her to the hospital to get it removed. She had a 4 hour eye surgery to get the contact lens out of her eye. The surgery had no complications and she restored full vision.
The last story is about a woman who had parasites in her spine. A woman in France went to her doctor and said she had an electric shock that she felt was running through her legs. It turned out that she had a rare infection called Echinococcus Granulosus. Echinococcus Granulosus is a rare disease of tapeworm larvae in the spine. The disease is most commonly found in dogs or farm animals. It also can be found in unwashed fruits and vegetables. Her doctors gave her anti-parasite pills and nine months later she had no symptoms at all.
Story by Charlotte Ross